April 26th GFBC Meeting Notes
Very interesting and interested group of 24 cyclists met April 26th. Topics included:
1. Bob Gliko, a Forestry Tech with the HLC National Forest, told us about trail work opportunities in the Little Belts and Highwoods. He asked for and we shared some of our favorite Little Belts rides. Bob said we should call his Belt Creek Ranger Station number to coordinate trailwork and to find out what trails have been maintained recently. 1-406-236-5103. Bob invited us to the USFS volunteer chainsaw certification training offered on 4/30, 9 am, Belt Creek Ranger Station, and 5/1.
2. John Juras presented initial efforts to expand Mountain Biking opportunities on the South Shore trails network. Next steps are in the River’s Edge Trail Foundations hands. When it is time for area MTB riders to pitch in, we’ll let everyone know. Henry also asked about additional extensions to the Mayhem trails. He will attend the Trails Working Group meeting to approach the City.
3. John shared a USFS press release on the Rocky Mtn Front Access Improvements Study. Encouraged all to explore more trails in the Front and report needed improvements to the USFS in the ways suggested here.
4. Report on attempts to open new Fox Farm connection to River’s Edge Trail via Meadowlark Drive. Country Club managers and members in favor, MDT is currently saying no. More info as it is available…..
5. Cochran Dam opening dates are proposed for the day after the Luminaria Walk, June 19, and the day before the Rampage MTB Race, August 20th. Group camp out at Heritage Park planned for August 20th Saturday night. Mark your calendars.
6. June 24th and 25th set for an unsupported overnight road ride from Great Falls, to Fairfield (Park Inn Bed and Breakfast) via Power (48 miles). Next day from Fairfield to Augusta to Wolf Creek to Cascade (100 miles), vehicle shuttle back to Gt Falls. Lodging limited at Park Inn to 5 rooms (8 beds, 1 K, 4 Q, 3 Twin). Very nice Inn. No other rooms available in Fairfield. Suggest reserving a room soon if you are interested in the ride, 406-467-3373. More details TBA.
7. Weekly mountain bike ride every Wednesday at 6 pm at the Lewis and Clark Overlook starting May 4th, weather permitting. Get latest updates by liking the Great Falls Bicycle Club Facebook Page. THANKS Henry!
8. Weekly recreational road rides every Tuesday and Thursday meeting at Gibson Park bandshell parking lot start this week. Show and go. Riders who go pick the routes. Shorter distances (25 to 35 miles) early season. Regular regrouping.
9. New downhill trail ride schedule TBA via Google Group. Trails need to dry out.
10. Sustainable Trails Coalition needs our help in Congress to allow local federal land managers to decide how Americans may visit the Nation’s wildlands under their own power in quiet, nonpolluting ways.
10A. An IMBA Trails Summit will be held in Missoula on June 2, 3, and 4th. More info TBA here soon.
11. Upcoming regional rides discussed. June 18th for Cruise for Kids and Cascade 66…
12. Thanks to those who joined and renewed GFBC membership. If you haven’t yet, please send in your $10 per person annual dues to our Treasurer, Frank Laliberty, 331 Sheep Creek Rd, Cascade MT, 59421. Membership form here.